Thursday, April 29, 2010

Call 911

Call 911 anonymously anytime you someone or something suspicious. For years, individuals in other communities have been calling the police for everything from their 10 year old kid not going to school to the neighbor's dog crapping in their yard. And for years, CPD has had to respond to all of those calls. Well, let's increase the call volume at the 911 center for the Mount Greenwood area. Doing so would encourage the powers that be to keep 2211 on the beat. Make it so everyone that does not seem to belong in the neighborhood not feel comfortble in staying because they are being watched by the community every chance they get.

Now here is a little piece of advice for calling 911. Be descriptive, and state everything an individual is doing. A head to toe description of sex, race, age, clothing, tattoos, jewelery, etc. State the things that raised the hairs on the back of your neck that compelled you to call 911. Things like someone looking into a car, someone checking doorknobs on homes, trespassing on property, pacing back and forth on the sidewalk, etc. If you call into 911 and state you see a suspicious person, they are going to ask what makes them suspicious. Give them a reason, and then demand service. If you so choose to remain anonymous, remain anonymous. You do not have to give your name.

As a side note to this, I would also ask that you post your suspicions and 911 call on this website. Only do this when you feel that the threat has ended. MTGP needs to get the information out to our community so that when others see the same person or problem, they too will know to call 911. If there are enough calls, that problem will go away, either on its own, or in handcuffs.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is absolutely the case. It's like everything else, if you don't use it, you're gonna lose it. In this case, it's our beat car. You have to keep them involved. I know what you all think, "this incident isn't an emergency" or "I'm not gonna be a pain" and just allow the BS to continue. Well we can't take it lying down any more. Things are getting out of hand. I've lived here my whole life and plan to be here for the next 20+ years. I called the police 2 days ago on a guy and will do it again. YOU HAVE TO CALL OR THE CITY WILL FORGET ABOUT YOU!!!!

Anonymous said...

Squeeky wheels get the oil! We need the oil!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with this but would like to add something. I had to call last week and the calltaker tried to rush me along. I answered all her questions and spoke slow and clear. Then i repeated the suspicious activity and why i felt it was suspicious and even gave my name in case officers needed further info. I listened to my scanner and only half of the info I gave was in the event. I had to call back to give the same info I had previously given. I checked the event the next day and the person who took the first call did not put much of the info I gave as I suspected.
Bottom line is don't let the person on the other end of the line rush you or make your call seem insignificant. If you have a scanner listen and make sure that your information is relayed correctly to the dispatcher and officers.
I'm not bashing anyone up at the 911 center. Just want my neighbors to get the service we are all entitled to.